For the first 7 or 8 years of my children’s lives, Halloween preparations went a little like this:
October 31, 5:40pm: “Ok, what do you want to wear from our dress-up stash?”
October 31, 5:55pm: “You look so cute, let’s go!”
Then one year, we found ourselves on a Disney “Halloween on the High Seas” cruise, and decided we had at least better put just a little bit of thought into our costumes. If you know me well, you know that I don’t do “a little bit” very well.
I had SO much fun putting our Inside Out costumes together, despite the fact that it took weeks (months?) of scavenging for a couple of evenings of use, but I digress. They were super fun evenings, and totally worth it.
The only problem? I sort of created a family of (proverbial, non-Halloween-related) monsters. The following year, we were a cast of misfits from Wreck it Ralph for Mickey’s Not-so-Scary Halloween Party.
It’s September now, so my kids are starting to get very concerned that we aren’t in the middle of major preparations. I’m not exactly sure how to tell them they’re shopping their closets again, because this mama is done for a little while.
But you, you should totally DIY some awesome Disney costumes. I’m partial to the group costumes, but I’ve included a variety that were too cute to pass up.
10 more DIY Disney themed costumes (for Halloween or a Disney trip!) that get my vote:
- I love this unique White Rabbit from Color Me Courtney. The clock purse is the perfect accessory, and I have to admit I haven’t seen many (any?) White Rabbit costumes in recent years!
- This DIY Elsa tutu dress from Bombshell Bling is the perfect finishing touch for the cutest Frozen-costumed family I’ve ever seen.
- The entire Guardians of the Galaxy group from Home Stories A to Z looks great, but I’m in awe of how Groot turned out – he’s made mostly of cardboard!
- Fresh Mommy Blog shares steps for creating Incredibles costumes for the whole family. I admit, I’ve seen these characters more than most, but the costumes are always effective – especially in a group!
- So… when I think of DIY, I think easy, or at least relatively so. This impeccable Celia costume (from Monsters, Inc) is stunning. I’m not sure how you’d go about making it, but Tiffany from Shifting the Status Kuo says she used mostly hot glue!
- Stinky Pete is an easy but oft-overlooked addition to any Toy Story group. This one looks great!
- Mary Poppins and Bert make an awesome couple’s costume, and I haven’t seen any more classy (but doable) than this one.
- This duo of Pinocchio and Gepetto is also super fun. I LOVE the addition of Cleo and Figaro.
Sometimes the props or extra little details really put the costume over the top!
- If you can find the wig and a fur coat, DIY 101 Dalmatian costumes like these at Everyday Art (who even added Jasper!) – might be a great last minute option.
- And finally, Amy Oztan from Amy Ever After shows us how she made a great Darla costume (you remember Darla, the fish-killer from Finding Nemo…)
I’d love to see your DIY Disney costumes! Jump in with a comment below, or share on Facebook.
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!