Ok… so it’s no secret if you’ve ever read one of my trip reports or followed along on social media while I’m at the parks – I have a soft spot for Disney cupcakes! Because I’ve been thinking about them nonstop this week, I thought there is no better time than today for another installment of Friday Favorites, to count down a few of my go-tos! So without further ado…
#FTLODs Top Five Disney Cupcakes (as of today. subject to change often.)
5. Strawberry Shortcake, Boardwalk Bakery. A delectable yellow cake filled with strawberries and topped with light, fluffily vanilla frosting, it’s just the right combination of fruit and sugar for an afternoon treat on a sunny day as you walk down the boardwalk. (Note: There are other strawberry shortcake cupcakes found at, I believe, Mickey’s Hoop de Doo Revue, Sunshine Seasons bakery, and Writer’s Stop (seasonally). I haven’t had them enough to compare, but I imagine they’re tasty too, and worth trying ;)).
4. Lemon Blueberry cupcake, Boardwalk Bakery. Another fruit-filled masterpiece from the newly reinvented Boardwalk Bakery. (Note: I’ve also seen a similar one at Starring Rolls, but only seasonally. If I recall correctly, I liked it even better because it was less fruit and more frosting. I’m a health nut like that.) Yummy lemony yellow cake is filled with blueberry compote and topped with a buttercream vanilla frosting, fresh berries and white chocolate shavings. It’s the perfect balance of flavors and – though it’s far less frosting than I usually prefer – an excellent balance of fruit, cake and toppings.
3. Strawberry Cream Cheese cupcake, Be our Guest Restaurant. Honestly, any of the cupcakes from BOG could have made it high on this list. They are all über moist cakes, this one in yellow. The filling is a light, delicious strawberry mousse and it’s all topped with white frosting and a fresh strawberry or two. The cakes there were all so moist (and this one no different) that it was almost necessary to eat it out of the wrapper with a fork, which means it’s a bit hard to share. No worries though, this one I’m quite certain you can finish on your own.
2. Oreo Bon Bon cupcake, Boardwalk Bakery. Now rumor has it this used to be a yellow cake, but when we had it on our February 2014 trip it was most definitely chocolate. And most definitely outstanding. It doesn’t look like anything super fancy, but the cookies n’ cream mousse inside makes it to-die-for! The pile of fluffy frosting and adorable Oreo Mickey ears don’t hurt it’s case, either.
1. Butterfinger Cupake, Starring Rolls Cafe. Yep, this is the one. The one you’ve seen documented time and again as we enjoy our “breakfast of champions” during (at least) our first day at the Studios each trip. It’s glorious. Found only at Starring Roles, it starts with a mountain of sugary buttercream vanilla frosting coated in chocolate and Butterfinger pieces. Moist chocolate cake covers additional fudgey chocolate frosting inside. It’s humongous and the only dessert I can think of off hand that I truly can’t finish even with help – but it’s so, so worth every penny and every bite!
I was surprised to see so few chocolate (and zero chocolate-peanut butter!) treats representing on this list… but it’s for good reason. Even at Disney World, chocolate cake can trend toward the dry side. When they get it right though, they get it right – as you can see. 🙂 If you’d like to look at some more sweet treats, be sure to check out the Disney Food Blog’s Disney Cupcake Gallery! Fair warning: if you’re at work, watch your computer. I’m assuming drool, like other liquid, is bad for it…
So now I’m wondering – what’s your favorite, or which would you try first if you had the chance? Be sure to like our Facebook page as we pit these and other infamous WDW snacks together tomorrow for a special Saturday Showdown!