Welcome to the first edition of what will certainly not be a weekly feature…. Friday Favorites!
Today I’m going to share my favorite Disney-related podcasts with you. Many of these have an app of their own, but I’ll just throw out there that I listen exclusively in my iOS podcast app which – finally – works wonderfully. So without further ado…
- WDW Radio with Lou Mongello – This one is, hands down, my favorite. The rest may have no particular order, but this is the first I listen to every time no matter what those little red badges say. The community Lou has built with podcast listeners as crazy as me is outstanding. It’s always family-friendly (and he prides himself on keeping it that way). He covers everything from food and drinks to news and rumors and, some of my favorites, way-back-machine historical glimpses. You know I’m a big fan of Lou’s and this podcast doesn’t disappoint.
- WDW Today – First, the LLC behind this gem is called “Stupid Judy Media”. If you get the reference, then you know how brilliant it is. Business names aside, this is another excellent choice. An all-star Disney-community cast including Matt Hochberg, Mike Newell, Mike Scopa and Len Testa bring big personalities to all kinds of Disney topics. I love hearing these guys (and their guests) talk. They’re passionate and honest about what they think, which sometimes makes for some fun banter.
- Inside the Magic with Ricky Brigante – Ricky and his crew seem to get everywhere, which makes this one of the most thorough broadcasts you’ll find. He covers press events from all around Disney World and Orlando, as well as full recordings (video and audio) of events like the Festival of Fantasy parade debut. You can also find coverage of things like Megacon and the NY Toy Expo and such a variety of things that, if cosplay, Halloween Horror Nights, and other extreme themed entertainment Ricky’s got you covered with Outside the Magic, too. Me? I prefer Pixie Dust. Thankfully, ITM has plenty of that to last.
- WDW News Today – Usually a “roundtable” type discussion, WDWNT aptly covers News and Rumors from Walt Disney World as well as some fun countdowns and other features. Another passionate cast, this one also creates the feeling you’re sitting around a table chatting with friends – for better or worse 🙂 Sometimes that means a little fun-poking, a little arguing… but ultimately it means there’s lots to talk about and a handful of people that “get it”. Edit: This one actually took several strange turns, and I no longer listen. See further updates below.
- The DIS Unplugged – This is the most interesting of the bunch when I try to write a quick description. I thoroughly enjoy it – but as Lou’s podcast is purposely family friendly, this one I almost never listen to with my kids in the car. It’s not that there is anything vulgar or inappropriate, but it’s, um… well, Pete Werner (of DISboard fame) and friends tell it like it is. For example? Discussions often include news from around the Orlando area – occasionally that means opining about child abuse, and the choice words one might use surrounding such stories. Even when that’s not on the agenda, this is definitely a more casual conversation amongst adults – and for that, little ears might not be ready. Especially when topics often concern Disney magic. That said, it’s a great choice. News, Rapid-fire updates, and a gigantic community affiliation make this one absolutely worth a listen.
Updated 01/2015, since Podcasts are exploding: I actually don’t listen to 2 of the 3 previous Honorable Mention shows. They are worthwhile, if you have time – I just don’t, and have gotten rid of several on my list to make room for podcasts on other topics.
Here are the titles that remain on my list, in alphabetical order, in addition to the Top 5 featured above:
- Be our Guest WDW Podcast (some episodes)
- The Disney Nerds Podcast (duh. It’s awesome.)
- Enchanted Tiki Talk (excellent interview guests!)
- The Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish with Jim Hill (fascinating)
- A Window to the Magic (the first Disney podcast I ever listened to, almost 10 years ago!)
No shortage of resources if podcasts are your thing! Do you listen to them, or is it mostly just music for you?