Last week, my family visited Kings Island to check out the 2016 “Kings Island Kicks Cancer” campaign. And, you know, to have a great time riding rides and escaping the oppressive heat in Soak City!
Our visit was sponsored by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company in conjunction with Blog Meets Brand. I have been compensated for my participation, but as always, our views are our own.
What is Kings Island Kicks Cancer?
Each year, Kings Island partners with three local charities during the KI Kicks Cancer campaign. Until August 21st, 2016, guests can purchase tickets online for just $38.99; that’s a savings of $25 per ticket, plus a portion of the ticket sales during the event will be donated to The Dragonfly Foundation, Melanoma Know More, and Pink Ribbon Girls. (I love that the proceeds go to charities doing work right here in Cincinnati, two of which we have personal connections with and absolutely love.*)
- The Dragonfly Foundation “brings comfort and joy to kids and young adults enduring cancer and bone marrow transplants. [They] provide distractions and support that ease the pain and fear these young patients and their families experience on a daily basis.”
- Melanoma Know More “strives to reduce the impact of melanoma through awareness, education, support of medical research, and assistance to persons affected by melanoma. [They are] committed to education the people of Greater Cincinnati about the devastating impact of this disease.”
- Pink Ribbon Girls was “created by women with breast cancer to support and empower other women to courageously fight and survive. [Their] mission is to balance the fear and uncertainty that breast and other women’s reproductive cancers bring to individual and families by providing direct services, education, and support.”
In addition to donations from ticket sales, guests – even season pass holders – can get in on the action by buying a soccer ball to kick into the fountain on International Street. One lucky winner whose soccer ball is drawn out of the fountain at the end of the promotion will win a 2016 Honda Civic! Those who can’t make it to the park but still want to participate can purchase soccer balls online; they’ll have a chance to win the car and will be supporting a great cause, but they’ll miss the fun of actually kicking the ball in! 🙂
On your visit, be sure to check out the Survivor Stories displayed around the base of the Eiffel tower… or you can get a sneak peek and a dose of inspiration on the Survivor Stories page before you go.
Love roller coasters and want to participate in KI Kicks Cancer in a unique way?
On August 14th, coaster enthusiasts can participate in the “Kicks Cancer Coasterthon”. This event takes riders on the Racer over and over again between 10am and 6pm, and also provides access to exclusive nighttime rides on the Banshee – Kings Island’s newest roller coaster. Participants must pay a $25 registration fee and raise at least $75 additional dollars in donations. More details can be found on the Kicks Cancer Coasterthon page. If you miss out on registration, it will still be a fun day to attend to join in on some of the fun!
More to look forward to this Fall at Kings Island —
- National Roller Coaster Day is August 16th! Members of the American Coaster Enthusiasts, Great Ohio Coaster Club, Club Theme Park Review, Coaster Buzz Club, and Coaster Crew Platinum can get exclusive behind-the-scenes tours of some of the park’s most notable attractions.
- Fire and Safety Days return, August 26-28th. Active firefighters, police offers, and other first-responder personnel receive free admission with proper identification. See details here regarding how to qualify for this promotion. All of the guests in attendance during the Fire and Safety Days can meet emergency response teams, see some of their incredible vehicles, learn car seat safety and even take CPR courses!
- Kings Island is wrapping up the Cedar Fair Run and Ride race series on October 21st and 23.
- the GLOW RUN 5K is a fun run on Friday evening (October 21) that takes runners through Halloween Haunt in a colorful and unique way.
- 10K and Half-Marathon participants (October 23) run through the park, including access to behind-the-scenes areas and incredible views of some of their favorite attractions
- Mystic Timbers, a new wooden roller coaster just announced and opening in 2017, has guests wondering, “What’s in the Shed?” We saw a few glimpses of the construction from Rivertown, and especially good views from the K.I. & Miami Valley Railroad. As construction continues, you may see even more cool developments in that area when you visit!
Don’t forget to check the Kings Island events page for the latest on these promotions, as well as special Gold Pass events, and more!
If this will be your first visit to Kings Island – or your first in a while – be sure to brush up on our tips for first timers here!
Have fun on your visit! And if you win the car, can I go for a ride? 🙂
*That’s totally not to say we don’t love the third. I actually trust that it’s great, I just don’t have any personal support for that opinion. 🙂