Every time we have left the theater so far having viewed The Force Awakens, I find myself googling box office results – knowing full well that this would be the movie to surpass Avatar as the highest grossing film of all time. My prediction is still that it will hit 3 billion dollars, but only time will tell!
Officially, after early box office returns, The Force Awakens has risen to the top of the domestic box office!
In just 20 days, here are just a handful of the impressive accccomplishments this little film (ha!) has achieved:
- Highest grossing film of all time in the domestic market (>$760.5M)
- Fastest film to reach $100M (21 hours) $200M (3 days), $300M (5 days), $400M (8 days), $500M (10 days), $600M (12 days), and $700M (16 days)
- Biggest debut, second, and third weekends of all time
- Biggest Thursday preview, Friday, opening, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and single day totals, as well as biggest opening week (which should be somewhat obvious)
- Fastest film to reach $1B globally (12 days)
Now I’ll spare you from going down the same rabbit hole I did, but I’ll say a few more things. Avatar had a vastly different arc, as a movie that increased in popularity over the course of its six months (!!!) in theaters. Technically, it’s not a given that The Force Awakens will surpass its global box office revenue. I mean, maybe people are done going to see it.
I know – I’m hilarious, right?
The biggest factor that I think is still missing from the equation? It has yet to debut in China (opening there this weekend). China has a lot of people.
I can’t wait to see where this goes over the course of its run in theaters. I also can’t wait for Walt Disney World to have lands dedicated to the two highest grossing films in the history of ever.
Congratulations to J.J. Abrams, the cast and crew, George Lucas (hey, I’m not bitter!), Kathleen Kennedy, and everyone else involved in this spectalar film release.
Now go see it. See it for the second time. Or the tenth time. It’s worth it!