Welcome to this month’s Blogorail Yellow Loop. Today we are sharing some fun Valentine’s Day crafts.
When I was
scouring the web doing research playing on Pinterest a few weeks ago I stumbled across these adorable little yarn “love bugs”. The picture I saw led to nowhere, so I tracked down something similar at East Coast Mommy and made a few adjustments. These were absolutely the most fun we’ve had crafting in a long time. I couldn’t stop making these sweet little things! Want to make your own adorable little community of critters? Read on!
Supplies and Instructions:
- a piece of cardboard approximately 2″x4″
- small paper cups like 3 oz Dixie cups (we happened to have plastic on hand in a similar size)
- yarn in your choice of colors
- hot glue gun/sticks (You can certainly use school glue or craft glue which is safer for kids, but not nearly as quick. We lack patience, so I opted for hot glue!)
- googly eyes, pipe cleaners, scrapbook paper and punches, beads and any other decorations you’d like
- Choose the yard you would like for the body. Wrap it around the longer side of the cardboard 150-200 times. Cut the end, and with another small piece of yarn, tie a not around the strands on one side.
- Flip over the wrapped cardboard, and cut through each strand on the side opposite the knot.
- Glue the yarn onto an upside down cup (we chose to do so knot side down, but it’s not important!). Depending on how much glue you use, you may want to spread the yarn out before placing it on the cup. Alternatively, you can glue it down and spread the yarn around the cup after.
- When the glue is dry, you can begin decorating however you’d like! We started out making pretty straight forward “bugs”, but got creative and ended up calling many (all?) of them monsters, instead. After all, we certainly don’t have four-eyed bugs around here… for which I am very grateful!We had a blast making all different combinations, and I think our little bugs/monsters would still be multiplying if we had the time.
(Oh! Do you want some “hair” like a few of those above? Repeat Steps 1 and 2 with your selected yarn, only this time wrap 20-30 times around the shorter end of the cardboard.
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Yellow | Valentine’s Day Crafts Loop:
- 1st Stop – The Delightful Life | YOU ARE HERE 🙂
- 2nd Stop – Saving Up for Disney | Sweet, Quick and Easy Applique Valentine’s Day Heart Tee
- 3rd Stop – Home is Where the Mouse Is | Disney Hand-print Valentines